A Boater Safety Education Course will be held at Grandpappy Point Marina on Saturday, Oct 15th from 9am to 5pm with an hour lunch break. Participants will receive a certificate from both the Coast Guard and Texas Parks & Wildlife Department. Free vessel safety check will ensure you have all the required safety equipment. Pre- registration requested – call 940.268.4289
Texas has a mandatory education law for certain boaters. All boaters born after September 1, 1993 must complete a TPWD approved course and be certified with theTPWD to operate: Any vessel over 15 horse power. Any windblown vessel over 14 feet.
Who must take boater education?
- Anyone born on or after September 1, 1993.
- Anyone operating a vessel over 15 horsepower, wind-blown vessel over 14 feet and all personal watercraft.
Who must be certified to operate a vessel alone?
In Texas a person cannot operate a windblown vessel over 14 feet in length, a motorboat with more than 15 horsepower, or personal watercraft unless he/she:
- was born on or after September 1, 1993 and has passed a boater education class or equivalency examination prescribed by the department.
- is 18 years of age and can lawfully operate the motorboat and is on board the motor boat when underway.
- is at least 13 years of age and have successfully completed a boater education course approved by the Department.
Who can operate a Personal Water Craft?
NOTE: Children under 13 are specifically prohibited from operating a PWC unless accompanied on board by a person at least 18 years of age.
To operate a PWC, the operator must meet one of the following:
- Born on or after September 1, 1993 and passed a boater education class or equivalency examination prescribed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, or
- Born before September 1, 1993, or,
- Persons requiring boater education who have not competed it must be accompanied by a person 18 years of age (who can legally operate) or older, or
- At least 13 years of age and have passed a boater education course or equivalency examination prescribed by the department.